Judson J. Emerick(b.1941) lived in Kingston, NY, for the first eighteen years of his life, then spent six years in Michigan at Hope College in the city of Holland for a B.A. in Philosophy and Art (1963); and at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor for an M.A. in Art History (1965).
He took a fellowship at Case-Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Museum of Art in 1965-66, then a teaching fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia where he finished his Ph.D. in Art History in 1975. Between 1969 and 1970, Jud Emerick studied Medieval art in Munich on an NDEA Title IV grant; then traveled to Rome where he studied Early Medieval art on a Pennfield Fellowship (1970-71) and a Kress Fellowship at the Bibliotheca Hertziana (1971-73). He came to Pomona College in September 1973.
Emerick taught courses on classical art in the Mediterranean (Hellenistic and Roman), on late antique art (Holy Men, Holy Women, Relics and Icons), on early medieval art (Pilgrimage and Crusade), on high medieval art (Town, Castle, and Cathedral in France) and on painting in Italy during the fourteenth century (Tyrants and Communes). He also taught two introductory art history courses, one on prehistoric and ancient Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Greek, and Roman art, and one on Euro-Mediterranean medieval art. He retired in 2015.
For more on Emerick’s research see http://research.pomona.edu/judson-emerick/